team & Pairs relay Details & Strategy
The entire Fall 50 course route is paved asphalt. There are no trails or gravel roads on this route. The portions of the course along the highway offer flat gravel shoulders to run on while most of the back roads do not.
NONE! The course IS NOT closed to motor vehicles. Be alert to the possible presence of motorists throughout the entire course.
Exchange points must be used for team hand-offs. For safety reasons, exchanging outside of these points is prohibited. All nine of the exchange points offer ample parking, volunteers, bathroom facilities, food and drink, and a designated hand off point.
On Course Food & Drink:
Every exchange point will offer cups, water, Gatorade, Clif Bars, oranges, bananas, apples, and chocolate chip cookies. Exchange #5 (mile 29) at Villagio’s Italian Restaurant in Juddville will offer the “Half Way Buffet” with hot soup, sandwiches and heavy snacks in addition to the fruit and Clif Bars.TO CLARIFY: The on course food and beverage will be set up in a SELF-SERVE format. There will be no water station teams handing out cups of water or Gatorade. This is a relay/ultra, not a marathon.
Red Fall 50 signs will be located at every turn and mile marker along the entire course. Always run on whichever side of the road the course signs are located on. In most cases, you will be running against the motor vehicle traffic along busier stretches of roadway.
Gear check will be available for solo runners at Stone Harbor Resort in Sturgeon Bay during registration/packet pick up on Friday and at the start line on Saturday morning. There will be gear check bags available along with numbered bins that will be delivered to the corresponding exchange points on Saturday.
The journey of the Fall 50 begins at the Shoreline Restaurant at the “Top O’ the Thumb”, the tip of the Door County peninsula at Gills Rock. The course route hugs the scenic western shoreline of the Door peninsula. While most of the course stays on the scenic back roads along the shoreline, it occasionally ventures onto Highway 42 in order to pass through the heart of the quaint communities that make up the western side of the peninsula, including:
- Gills Rock
- Ellison Bay
- Sister Bay
- Peninsula Park
- Fish Creek
- Egg Harbor
Gills Rock to Grand View
- Start at Shoreline Restaurant in Gills Rock, WI.
- Head south (with traffic) on right side of Highway 42.
- Turn right on Garrett Bay Road.
- Turn right on Garrett Bay Hill Road.
- Turn right on Highway 42.
- Continue south on Highway 42 through Ellison Bay.
**EXCHANGE #1: Ellison Bay Grand View Overlook **
Look Out For Goats!
- Exit Overlook Area turning left on Hanson Road.
- Turn right on Porcupine Bay Road.
- Turn left on Beach Road.
- Turn right on Hwy. 42
- Continue through Sister Bay and up Sister Bay Hill.
- Follow bike/pedestrian trail west/southbound through village.
**EXCHANGE #2: ShopKo Hometown Store**
Little Sister Hell
- Continue south on Highway 42 out of Sister Bay.
- Run (or walk) up Little Sister Hill (steepest hill on course).
- Continue south on Highway 42 through Ephraim.
- Turn right into Peninsula Park at Peninsula Park Golf Course.
- Continue on Shore Road to Nicolet Bay Beach.
**EXCHANGE #3: Nicolet Bay Beach**
- Continue on Sunset Trail to Shore Road.
- Turn left onto Sunset Trail.
- Follow signs and volunteers to Gibraltar High School.
**EXCHANGE #4: Gibraltar High School**
- Turn right onto Highway 42 / Main Street.
- Follow Main Street through Fish Creek.
- Turn left on Cottage Row.
- Run (or walk) up Hairpin Hill.
- Turn right on Gibraltar Bluff.
- Turn left on Peninsula Players.
- Turn right on Highway 42.
- Turn right into parking lot of Villagio’s Restaurant at Hwy. 42 & Juddville Road.
**EXCHANGE #5: Villagio’s Italian Restaurant**
Dock of the Bay
- Continue west on Juddville Road.
- Left on White Cliff Road.
- Continue straight on White Cliff Road to Egg Harbor Dock.
**EXCHANGE #6: Egg Harbor Boat Dock**
Horseshoe Bay Road
- Exit Egg Harbor Boat Dock up hill.
- Right on Horseshoe Bay Road (County G).
- Continue south on Horseshoe Bay Road to Murphy Park.
**EXCHANGE #7: Murphy Park**
Tunnel of Trees
- Continue south on County B (Bay Shore Drive).
**EXCHANGE #8: Chateau Hutter (5609 Bay Shore Drive)**
- Continue south on County B ( Bay Shore Drive).
**EXCHANGE #9: George Pinney Park (aka Old Stone Quarry Park)**
- Continue south on County B
- Turn right onto Alabama Street.
- Curve left at end of Alabama onto the trail at Sunset Park.
- Turn right and follow the screams and cheers to the finish line!